33 questions when choosing your venue
Picking a wedding venue is more art than science. It is easier said than done! However, with the knowledge and expertise of seasoned event management professionals, we are able to get a batch of standard questions you should be asking yourself and venue managers to insure that the wedding venue that you choose will be the right fit. Here is a handful of them…
1. Is the space available on the desired dates and times?
2. Will the venue be convenient for guests in regard to travel and accessibility?
3. Will it be a destination venue that naturally attracts people?
4. What is the cost difference between busy season and off-season?
5. How much is the deposit and how much of it is refundable?
6. Do they offer packages and what do they (and don’t they) include?
7. Will the space comfortably fit your estimated number of guests?
Venue condition and colours
8. Will the condition, colour and decor of the venue compliment the event?
9. If not, will they hamper the guests’ experience?
10. What are the venue’s policies and contractual language on refunds, guarantees and culpability in case of cancellation, damage, etc?
11. Does the venue have on-site catering and, if so, what are the specialties and menus?
12. Does it allow outside vendors and, if so, does it have preferred vendors (and what is the surcharge for using outside vendors)?
13. How experienced are the catering manager and executive chef?
14. Are there food and drink minimums and, if so, what are they?
15. What do other event professionals or local organizations think of the venue?
16. Has the venue had any recent issues that would cause an event / wedding planner to think twice about booking there?
17. Does the venue allow for event signage or displays?
18. Does it have concierge or information desks?
19. Will it cater to the amount of guests you wish to have at your wedding?
20. Does it have enough space for your guest to move around, Eg. Dancefloors etc?
21. Are there adequate outlets and lighting in the space?
22. Is there natural light, and is there a way shade it if necessary?
23. What kind of heating/cooling systems does the space have and can they reliably create a comfortable environment?
AV and Acoustics
24. What kind of public address and music amplification requirements does the venue have?
25. Does the space have the right acoustics to suit your purposes?
26. How is the space wired for audio visual equipment, and what kind of audio visual equipment is available (and if yes, what is the additional cost)?
27. Does the venue have preferred vendors for AV and music?
28. Are there any seasonal weather issues associated with the venue that might interfere with the event?
29. What kind of security and equipment does the venue provide for its guests?
30. Is there the ability to shield the event from public view? Are there spaces that could offer privacy to guests and participants?
31. Is there ample parking for your guests?
32. If guests are arriving from out of town, is there convenient transportation to get to the venue?
33. Are there any special restrictions that the venue has when renting the space?
Keeping these main points in mind, will help you to narrow down your perfect wedding venue, knowing that everything that you should/need to know, will be answered when using these 33 simple wedding questions!